• Home
  • Giveaways
  • Reviews
  • Links
  • Awards
  • Contact

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mardi Gras Mambo Day 10: Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club

Early in 1909, a group of laborers who had organized a club named "The Tramps," went to the Pythian Theater to see a musical comedy performed by the Smart Set. The comedy included a skit entitled, "There Never Was and Never Will Be a King Like Me," about the Zulu Tribe...

While the "Group" marched in Mardi Gras as early as 1901, their first appearance as Zulus came in 1909, with William Story as King.

The year 1915 heralded the first use of floats, constructed on a spring wagon, using dry good boxes. The float was decorated with palmetto leaves and moss and carried four Dukes along with the King. That humble beginning gave rise to the lavish floats we see in the Zulu parade today.
In the 1960's during the height of Black awareness, it was unpopular to be a Zulu. Dressing in a grass skirt and donning a black face were seen as demeaning. Large numbers of black organizations protested against the Zulu organization, and its membership dwindled to approximately 16 men.

Zulu has grown tremendously over the years. This continual growth is credited to the members for their love, loyalty and dedication to this organization. This year celebrates their 100th anniversary!

Of all the throws to rain down from the many floats in the parades during carnival, the Zulu coconut or "Golden Nugget" is the most sought after. The earliest reference to the coconut appears to be about 1910 when the coconuts were given from the floats in their natural "hairy" state. Some years later there is a reference to Lloyd Lucus, "the sign painter," scraping and painting the coconuts. This, in all likelihood, was the forerunner to the beautifully decorated coconuts we see today.


The etsy shop of Doctor Sweet Tooth has offered up some Coconut Goodies in honor of Zulu and their coconut throw.

Over at Doctor Sweet Tooth, they have Fresh Handmade Bath, Body & Home Fragrance Products! Their products are prepared & sealed after your order is placed so they are guaranteed to arrive fresh. And they use only the highest quality cosmetic grade ingredients, and have a wide variety of scents to choose from.

Now the good news is that they have offered one lucky reader 8 ounces of their Creamy Coconut Foaming Bath Whip.


If you have never used bath whips then you are in for a real treat! This amazing product smells just like creamy coconut and has a super fluffy texture that will remind you of thick whipped cream! It can be used as a shaving cream AND cleanser! It contains the perfect amount of cocoa butter, shea butter and jojoba oil to leave your skin moisturized with out feeling greasy or sticky.
Now that you can't wait to take a bath and smell yummy, just follow the rules below.

If you would like to enter the Krewe of Rex giveaway, stop by What Mommies Need. We are giving away a Personalized Princess Bow!

How to Enter:
1) Visit Doctor Sweet Tooth and tell us which product you must have and your favorite scent!

Additional Entries: (Please leave each entry in a separate comment)
1) Follow my blog.
2) Follow me on twitter (bridgettela) or tweet about this giveaway.
3) Blog about this giveaway and make sure to include a link back!
4) Favorite me in Technorati.
5) Grab our giveaway button and post it on your sidebar.

Contest ends at 11:59pmCST on February 26th. Prizes not claimed in 72 hours will be forfeited. Open to U.S. Residents only.
You Must Leave a Valid E-mail Address to be eligible

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

158 comments:

Miss Blondie said...

oooh so many to choose from!! I think i'll have to say one of my favs (b/c there are many) would be the strawberry shortcake body butter!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and just added you to my blog list to follow! Great ideas :)

carolpie said...

I love the coconut scent. but I would love to try Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub. YUM!

Anonymous said...

my favorite scent is vanilla birthday cake. i would like to try cHoCoLaTe bAr Scented Foaming Bath Whip .

delorezb@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub (Paraben Free) and fav scent would have to be chocolate covered strawberries.

roro219708@yahoo.com

mar said...

My favorite product is the foaming bath whip. My favorite scent beside coconut is cookies & cream!

Unknown said...

Wedding Cake Body Butter for sure!!

Thanks for entering me! Great Contest!

Janna Johnson
jannajanna@hotmail.com
www.FeedYourPigBlog.com
http://feedyourpiggiveaways.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Following on twitter!

Thanks for entering me! Great Contest!

Janna Johnson
jannajanna@hotmail.com
www.FeedYourPigBlog.com
http://feedyourpiggiveaways.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub. It sounds awesome!! (kreed511@verizon.net)

HilLesha O'Nan said...

I love the Warm Vanilla Sugar Brown Sugar Body Scrub.

lilacbutterfly [at] earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

my goodness... these all look heavenly! It was a tough decision but I'm going to go with vanilla buttercream frosting sugar scrub.....

clc408 said...

I would like to try the Lavender Essential Oil Scented Body Butter. Thanks for the giveaway.

mverno said...

i would like to try the Gingerbread Scented Milk Bath.favorate scent anything dealing with vanilla

Deborah Wellenstein said...

I love the smell of coconut, and of course chocolate, so I would pick Chocolate Coconut Sugar Body Scrub.

pms3237 said...

The following soaps all sound good to me:
Pink grapefruit coconut
Pretty Peony Shea
coconut whipped shea
coconut scented coconut
As you can see, I gravitate toward anything coconut!

denyse said...

Gotta try the Chocolate Coconut Sugar Body Scrub - I love the chococlate coconut scent and also love Cinnamon Bun.

Jackie said...

I would love to try the Mango Sorbet Scented Shampoo and Conditioner. Another scent that sounds yummy is the Margarita Lime.
Thanks for the review and giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, so many items to choose from. The Body Whip and the Body Scrub look amazing. Very light and fluffy, almost looks good enough to eat! but dont worry, i wont ;)

As for a scent, I love the Chocolate Banana, Gingerbread Cookies, Vanilla Buttercream, Maraschino Cherry, Marshmallow Fluff, and many more.

Thank you!
shevilkenevil1 at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog also!

shevilkenevil1 at aol dot com

lmurley2000 said...

i would like to try their home frangrances in chocolate peanut butter cups scent.

Unknown said...

Wow what a great shop! My favorite scent is byfar COCONUT! The Chocolate Coconut Sugar Body Scrub sounds delightful. And so does Banana Coconut Whipped Shea Butter Soap. Thanks for entering me!

julis55 said...

I love the coconut scent. but I would love to try Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub

Anonymous said...

Cotton Candy Foaming Bath Whip 8oz
scent mint chocolate chip
KawaiiNeko2008 (at) aol (dot) com

Rachel said...

I have a major sweet tooth - so much so that I have an ice cream sundae every night!

I would love to try one of the famous bath whips in the cotton candy scent. Yum!

racheliznewman@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try the Antioxidant Facial Serum With Vitamin C .....and the Maraschino Cherry Foaming Bath Whip sounds luscious.......

Miss Spoken said...

I like the Lollipop Gift Set. Sugar Cookie Bath Scrub sounds great, too.
gkstratos@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, mmmmm, this is making me hungry.

The one(s) I'd like to try that I know without a doubt that would be my favorite, the pomegranate and then the banana coconut.

Thanks and have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub sounds delightful!

thanks for the giveaway!

whitten100 @ yahoo.com

Katie said...

The Chocolate Covered Strawberries Scented Flavored Lip Gloss sounds delicious!
katiekarr at gmail dot com

bison61 said...

I'd like to try the Lavender Essential Oil Pumice Sugar Foot scrub

tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

Beverley said...

Rose Essential Oil Scented Valentine Gift Set Massage Oil and Pillow Mist (Vegan Friendly)

Anonymous said...

I would love the Root Beer Float Bath Bomb Fizzies Coco Butter 60mm.

Anonymous said...

Awesome products! My fave is the Juicy Couture Cocoa Butter Bath Bomb Fizzies. They look neat!

hebert024 at aol dot com

EDRing said...

I absolutly need the Pumpkin Spice Body Lotion. I would love the scent of Peaches and Cream.

Ellen
eering99@hotmail.com

CJensen said...

I would love to try the mango Sorbet Shampoo and Conditioner!

kissyjensen at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Sweet Tarts Body Splash and Hair Perfume Spray sounds great! I'm going to order from them! I hope to win! Strawberry is my favorite scent!!!
kristi2bsb@yahoo.com

Reiza said...

I would love the Vanilla Sugar Cookies Scented Bath Sampler Gift Set. Mmmmm.
YiddishBitterRose at gmail dot com

Dove420 said...

I LOVE this site!! I can't wear perfumey scents and usually have a very limited sorce of alternative scents. Here I have such a huge choice!!! I think I just have to start out with the Candy Apple Body Splash

Cynthya said...

I'd love to try the Cherry Pie Body Splash and Hair Perfume. Thanks for the giveaway!

Sue said...

I have to tell you that coconut is always my favorite scent! But I'm also intrigued by wedding cake. Thanks for the giveaway~

eyeslikesugar said...

The whipped sugar scrub in Princess(Vera Wang Type) or Red Velvet Cake sounds AMAZING! Thank you so much for offering this giveaway! eyeslikesugar [at] gmail [dot] com

eyeslikesugar said...

I follow you on Twitter. username: Roweena. :) Thank you so much for offering this giveaway! eyeslikesugar [at] gmail [dot] com

Unknown said...

I want the Vanilla Buttercream Cupcake Soap. I think that the Chocolate Peanut Butter cups would be my favorite scent.

Smooshy said...

lavender is my favorite so i want to try the lavender essential oil body butter!

Twincere said...

The Chocolate Bar Whipped Sugar Body Scrub sounds to die for!

twincere[at]hotmail.com

Kelly said...

I'd love to try the Handmade Solid Perfume in Chocolate Coconut. I've been on a coconut-scented and coconut-flavored frenzy for the last few months! It's my absolute favorite! :)

Thank you for the giveaway!

krtrumpet [at] aol [dot] com

Anonymous said...

I'd love the Root Beer Float Bath Bomb!
Cassie
cjm92995@yahoo.com

jodene said...

I think the Chocolate Bar Whipped Sugar Body Scrub sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I would love to try the chocolate bar foaming bath whip. Sounds scrumptious!! Thanks for the contest!!!

Wehaf said...

I love their shea butter soaps. My favorite scent would be magnolia.

urchiken at gmail dot com

mgster said...

Wow...these sound DELICIOUS! I know you don't eat them...but Sugar Cookie Body Scrub is something I would love to try. Actually, all flavors/scents sound fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm a subscriber! And I would choose the 'coconut scent' and the 'wedding cake foaming bath whip' Two of my wife's favorites! Please, include us in your giveaway drawing! Thanks and good luck to all!

Anonymous said...

One product I really like is the Maraschino Cherry Scented Reed Diffuser. Thanks.
-Terra H.
partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I am a coconut diva and would love to try it.
stephanie_adkins@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Well that was soooo much fun! Now I have to choose just one and that was a very tough job!

After much consideration :-) I think I'd choose the Cotton Candy Foaming Bath Whip.

Only possible problem I see is that I'd be in the tub all the time. :-)

mogrill said...

Would LOVE to try the Wedding Cake Body Butter!! Thanks for the chance!

mogrill@comcast.net

Reva Skie said...

I would like the Champagne Scented Whipped Sugar Scrub. Sounds decadent and rich.

Leslie said...

Mango Sorbet Body Splash and Hair Perfume favorite scent is Pomegranate

Michelle said...

I would love to have the bubble bath, and my favorite scent would be caramel apple.

shelnew19 [at] gmail [dot] com

Anonymous said...

I would love the Baby Powder Bath Bomb Fizzies Cocoa Butter!

My favorite scent is Cupcake.


clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

tlcfromtn said...

I like the Creamy Shea Butter Soap in my favorite scent, Vanilla Sugar.

braaisjo at gmail dot com

Nickolay said...

I like the strawberry shortcake body butter

jason@allworldautomotive.com

Anonymous said...

thank you for the great contest
enter me please
Whipped Sugar Body Scrub in blackberry
seesessel (at) gmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

The Cotton Candy Shampoo and Conditioner Set sounds great!!

annemarie562000(at)yahoo(dot)com

AmandaK said...

I have to have the Flavored Massage Oil in Chocolate. Yum!

orchestratenoise0726[at]yahoo[dot]com

AmandaK said...

Tweet tweet! I'm following you on Twitter!

orchestratenoise0726[at]yahoo[dot]com

annies home said...

I would love to have the pretty peony body spray. This is a great older scent and i love it

shopannies@Yahoo.com

annies home said...

follow on twitter and tweeted

http://twitter.com/shopannies/status/1252140319

shopannies@yahoo.com

SeahorseLady said...

Happy day after Mardi Gras! The Zulu parade has always been one of my favorites and it was exciting to see their 100th anniversary this year.
I like the Mango Sorbet Body Splash and Hair Perfume.
Thanks for the nice giveaway.

Roxy said...

I must have Lavender Essential Oil Scented Body Butter. I love the scent Gingerbread.

hockiemack@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

The Wedding Cake Scented Body Butter
I love Bakery Scents!
digicat{AT}sbcglobal{DOT}net

covercover said...

I'd like Lemon Sugar Sugar Body Scrub!
I like Sage & Citrus scent.

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

The Cotton Candy Shampoo sounds awesome, but then again many things look great on this site. Thanks!
pjgirl74 at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

Mint Chocolate Chip Body Splash and Hair Perfume Spray (Yum)!!!


goddesspaula17@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try the Gingerbread Scented Milk Bath! But my favorite scent has always been coconut.

strycker@slu.edu

demmi said...

Wicked Witch Scented Room Linen Spray Made WIth Essential Oil (Vegan Friendly)
is my favorite and lavender is always one of my favorite scents con5459(at)gmail(dot)com

blown96cobra said...

I just purchased a lemon body spray from Doctor Sweet Tooth last month, and it is so wonderful! I HIGHLY recommend her products to everyone. She makes awesome stuff. I'd really love to win some of her foaming bath whip.

Susan said...

The Cotton Candy Shampoo, that should smell great, I would love it!

Heather S said...

Sugar Scrub- Chocolate Covered Marshmallows! YUM
Thanks

e-mail: hmahan_0529@yahoo.com

Jill Myrick (jsc123) said...

The Butter Cream Frosting Body Butter would be my to die for item. And is definitely my favorite of the scents offered.
Thank you so much for offering this wonderful giveaway :)

~*~lilshuga2001~*~ said...

the strawberry shortcake body body butter sounds so enticing!

~Good luck to all~

Anonymous said...

I would love to try the- Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub

Melissa said...

Here's my Tweet... http://twitter.com/Lisa4Christ/status/1255361261

Anonymous said...

I must have the Warm Vanilla Sugar Brown Sugar Scrub (Paraben Free. garrettsambo@aol.com

ZESTYWONDERLAND said...

I would love to try the wonderful Sugar Cookie Sugar Body Scrub.
My favortie scent is Bubblegum!

zestywonderland@gmail.com

Think about it said...

my favorite scent is vanilla birthday cake but i would like to try strawberry shortcake body butter.

Candie L said...

The cherry blossom shea butter soap sounds great. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

Bakersdozen said...

I would love to try the Juicy Couture type perfume! vidomich(at)yahoo(dot)com

/\Heather/\ said...

They had me at cupcake. :-)
The Try Me Perfume Oil Roll On in cupcake. Wow!

Charlene Kuser said...

I would love to try the Cinnamon Bun Thick Brown Sugar Body Scrub

CharlieGurl57@aol.com

Anonymous said...

The Red Velevet Cake Scented Milk Bath sounds so yummy!

Donna said...

I would like the Cherry Blossom Shea Butter Soap.
donna444444@yahoo.com

ldrnc2000 said...

I would like to try the Cinnamon Bun Thick Brown Sugar Body Scrub! It looks cool! Thanks for this great giveaway!

lilyk said...

The Strawberry Shortcake Body Butter sounds very interesting!

ms.lilyk@gmail.com

YZgirl4 said...

The whipped sugar scrub in gardenia....sounds great!
yzgirl4[at]verizon[dot]net

 
Photobucket